WHAT TO STUDY
We offer a four-year Bachelor Degree in Humanities and Social Studies, and a one-year Research Master in Humanities, Culture, and Society.
The orientation of these studies aims to prepare the students for the society of information and knowledge, the dissemination of knowledge and culture, and the promotion of relations between peoples. The general structure of the Degree in Humanities and Social Studies and of the Master of Research in Humanities, Culture, and Society has been defined taking into account the conclusions drawn from the consultations to various curricula in force in other Spanish and European universities. These studies provide the student with a comprehensive and versatile training that allows students to adapt optimally to very diverse job demands.
DEGREE IN HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL STUDIES
The final objective of these Bachelor and Master Degrees is to train graduates and postgraduates by combining two types of knowledge: a general one, which provides a scientific and methodological basis in the areas of Human and Social Sciences–with an interdisciplinary approach—, and an instrumental and applied one, which enables professional activities in areas related to teaching, the interpretation and promotion of culture and heritage, and development cooperation.
The entire Study Plan is highly formative for a wide field of career opportunities that can be organized into several main groups:
- Teaching of Human and Social Sciences in the public and private sector
In relation to this possible orientation, the curriculum of the Degree in Humanities and Social Studies aims to prepare the student in the contents that are included in the official Curriculum of Compulsory Secondary Education and the Baccalaureate in "Humanities and Social Sciences". This will allow students to achieve an advanced scientific knowledge in subjects related to Geography, Philology, History, Art History and History of Philosophy, which are taught in Secondary Education, enabling them to continue their training by enrolling, afterwards, in the Master in Secondary Education.
- Management of cooperation and development projects at different scales
Non-governmental organizations, public administrations, and educational institutions, can offer different job opportunities in these areas, such asintercultural mediator, international cooperator, responsible for institutional relations, etc.
- Historical and documentary research in archives, libraries and museums
- Design, management and promotion of cultural activities
This area includes jobs such as press office attaché, promoter, manager and disseminator of cultural heritage, online editor and editor of content in digital format, documentary filmmaker, tourist guide, culture technician in museums and art galleries, etc. To develop the wide group of tasks related to the world of culture, it is necessary to have specific training in some of the contents and the scientific and technical disciplines that allow access to it. The field of communication and ICTs, cultural management, the interpretation and dissemination of heritage, the business field related to the world of culture or cultural tourism are some of the possible options for integration into the world of work.
RESEACH MASTER IN HUMANITIES, CULTURE AND SOCIETY
This Master’s Degree has been designed in order to enhance researching within Humanities, in general, and within the disciplines of Anthropology, Philology (Spanish, Classic, English and French), Philosophy, Geography, Art History, and History, in particular. Since a researching profile is more and more demanded in the globalized world we inhabit, this master’s degree offers a qualified post-graduate education, focused on candidates who plan to cap their careers with a PhD, and on those who see the advantages of high education in such a competitive society as ours.
General and educational interest of this master’s degree:
a) It guarantees a wide and global education which enables the student to start any kind of research in a multidisciplinary context.
b) It contributes to an interdisciplinary relationship between all the different disciplines of the Humanities sphere.
c) It offers the theory and methodological tools to ensure the researching ability and capability of post-graduate students.
d) It provides advance researching experiences in the field of Humanities.
The structure of this master’s degree is in accordance to the new legal frame (enclosed by the European Higher Education Area –EHEA-).
+ info: https://www.uclm.es/es/Estudios/masteres/master-investigacion-humanidades-cultura-sociedad
+ info in English
+ info in Chinese
+ info in Russian
The specific objectives of the Master’s Degree are:
1. To provide the student with an innovative methodological education and adequate researching tools.
2. To promote an enquiring attitude with the reality of mankind and the current society from different perspectives and approaches.
3. To promote the skills of the student to create, to design and to compose, with scientific accuracy, a researching project in the field of Humanities.
4. To make critical analysis, to manage information, to evaluate and summarize new complex ideas, in order to help knowledge developing in the different fields of Humanities.
5. To promote the skills of the student of transferring scientific knowledge both to an expert audience and to a non-expert one.
6. To provide a specialized education which will enable the student to evaluate, in a critical way, the different methodological perspectives and the academic advances within the fields of Humanities.
7. To favor an attitude of ethical compromise, contributing to the development of the society.
8. To prepare the student for the next stage of his/her career, either continuing researching or entering the work market.